Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Buzz on Bumblebee Pt. 2


As we drove to Norman to possibly have a baby we were both fairly calm...in that freaking out on the inside, being brave on the outside kind of way.  We talked some about what we expected to happen, fears about delivery, thoughts on our son, hopes, dreams, etc.  We were quiet a lot too.  I think we both were anxious to see if we would deliver a baby that night and sort of hoping we'd have more time to prepare for the reality of caring for him on the outside of the womb.

We arrived at the hospital around 4pm on Sunday, December 30th and signed in for an OB Check.  The RN came in and checked me and set me up on the monitors.  I was still dilated at a 3 ("almost 4") and my contractions were anywhere from 3-5 minutes apart to 6-7 minutes apart at times.  She decided to keep me for observation and see. 

An hour and a half later the RN checked me again.  I was dilated to a 4.  My contractions were more consistently still in the 5 minute range.  She decided she would call the doctor and see what she thought. 

Around 6pm the RN returned checked my monitors one more time and then excused herself saying,"I'll be right back".  She told us later that she had called the doctor again to tell her that she felt strongly that I be admitted.  The doctor trusted her RN and took her advice.  The RN was convinced that we'd be back later in the evening if she sent us home and knowing that we were from Ardmore didn't want us having to make a fast trip back.  Considering how quick my labor progressed after that, I am so thankful she did.

By 6:30 pm we were all checked into the delivery room and beginning to grasp the reality of the situation.  The nurses all kept commenting on how calm I was.  They couldn't believe that I was so calm and it was my first child.  I'm not sure how calm I actually was but I was at peace with the situation.  And relieved.   I don't think I realized how anxious I actually was until they told me I was staying and there would be a baby in my arms soon. 

The evening really kind of flew by.  Before I knew it, my contractions were getting closer together and my back labor was really kicking in.  Soon enough I was getting the epidural.  At this point, Andrew and I both really began to recognize that this was really, really happening.  Andrew started calling the essential people...family, close friends.  We knew that it would be late when Bumblebee arrived, so we told everyone to just stay put and be praying.  They could all come say hi in the morning. 

Around 11pm, the delivery nurse announced that we'd be preparing to push soon.  I can't really explain how I felt at this moment.  It was a mix of "Oh Jesus!" , relief, and "NOW?!".  Oy. 


By 11:30pm we were pushing.  Originally I think we both envisioned that Andrew would just kind of be there to hold my hand and mutter encouraging words occasionally from a safe perch near my head.  But the delivery nurse had a different vision.  For which we are both so thankful.  One of the things that I loved the most was that Andrew got to be so hands on involved in the process. 

The doctor who would be delivering Bumblebee was wrapping up a surgery when the pushing started.  So the RN put Andrew to work.  She had him turn on the baby warmer and tell her when it was ready.  Then she had him help me get into position for pushing.  Next she had him help me support my left leg (the epidural was really kicked in on that side) and when we started pushing, Andrew was right there in the middle of it.  I will never forget the complete awe in his voice when he announced," I see his head!"

The room was completely calm.  Andrew and the nurse both encouraged and cheered me on.  The entire process flew by so quickly.  The doctor arrived and by 12:06am on December 31st Silas Allen was here.  Our Bumblebee was born.  (The nurses told me that I shouldn't tell anyone that I only pushed for about 30 minutes as it could cause some resentment.)

I told Andrew afterwards that I feel pretty silly saying this considering how much I complained about pregnancy: Labor and Delivery was AMAZING.  I absolutely loved every single minute of it.  Even the icky parts.  Even the painful parts.  I truly enjoyed the birth process.  I know, I must be a crazy person.   We had a wonderful experience bringing our boy into the world.

The most amazing moment of my life was when I heard that baby boy scream and the doctor lifted him up for us to see.  It was gloriously beautiful. And in an instant every wall I've ever built up around my heart came crashing down, irrevocably broken. It was devastatingly wonderful.  And when they placed that little boy in my arms...oh my goodness, there were not enough words to adequately thank the Lord for what He'd blessed me with.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude and humility. 

**Part 3 covering the hospital stay, coming home, and week one to come soon.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Courtney. :) What a precious story of the Lord's faithfulness through this little one. Hope you are all well and getting adjusted to being a family of three! xoxo

    ReplyDelete